Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
259 East Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
 
Shipping Address
Olin Chem Rsrch Loading Dock
162 Sciences Dr
162 Sciences Dr
Ithaca NY 14853
United States

Construction Date:   1921
Gross Area:   233,371 sq ft
Net Area:   193,286 sq ft
Architect:   Gibb & Day
Style:   Neo-Classical
Unit Facility Director:   hwc1 - Henry W. Crans,  Jr
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   Endowed
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   NL - Not Listed as Landmark
Historic District:   NL - Not Located Within a District
Photo: Baker Laboratory
In 1910 Arthur Gibb and Professor Louis M. Dennis prepared preliminary plans for the new chemistry building. These provisional plans were the basis of George Baker's decision to finance the construction of Baker Laboratory. Baker is one of the first postwar projects on campus and one of the first buildings to utilize reinforced concrete. Sited on a hill just east of the Arts Quad, it presents a bold symmetrical western facade. The centered entrance is carved out and two story limestone-faced concrete columns screen the enclosure. The bottom two floors carry identical window patterns, and continue the columnar rhythm with panels of native Ithaca stone out to the building's edges. A heavy base works in conjunction with the third story of smaller windows and strong cornice to give the building horizontality. Two east wings were added in 1967. In 1965, Clark Hall was built attached to the rear east wings of Baker. Clark connects Baker Laboratory with Rockefeller Hall.