Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
232 East Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1892
Gross Area:   126,163 sq ft
Net Area:   102,284 sq ft
Architect:   Charles Osborne; Carrere & Hastings
Style:   Beaux Arts
Unit Facility Director:   hwc1 - Henry W. Crans,  Jr
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   Endowed
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   NL - Not Listed as Landmark
Historic District:   A - Arts Quad, Local
Photo: Goldwin Smith Hall
A three story Beaux Arts building which was expanded from the existing Dairy Building. The Dairy Building, the first state-financed and agriculture building was designed by Charles Osborne and constructed in 1893. The location of this building was determined by the need for easy delivery of milk from the North Barn to the Dairy Building. Professor Osborne designed the building to be sensitive to the qualities of the other structures on the Quadrangle. The building is faced with rough-cut ashlar stonework, and features symmetrically balanced facades and the entrance consists of a gabled porch with an arch opening supported by columns on pedestals. In 1903 Goldwin Smith was added to the south end of the Dairy Building. The building facade is classically derived and features a freestanding portico with four columns, and addresses the spectacular western view through the gap between Morrill and McGraw Halls. Aside from the molded ceiling of the portico and graceful columns the stone walls are unadorned, in a sense paying respect to the simplicity of the surrounding buildings. An important element of the building remains its graceful entry and spatial sequence to the rear-rounded auditorium.
 
Virtual Tours: 
Goldwin Smith Hall: Front Statue
Goldwin Smith Hall: Lobby
Lincoln Hall: Shady Grove