Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
420 College Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1902
Gross Area:   49,077 sq ft
Net Area:   38,883 sq ft
Architect:   ?; O'Brian & Taube
Style:   Italianate
Unit Facility Director:   ajs63 - Asa J. Schindler
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   SCL Zone
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   NL - Not Listed as Landmark
Historic District:   NL - Not Located Within a District
Photo: Sheldon Court
Sheldon Court was built by Charles Lacy Sheldon Jr (AB 1901, AM 1902), an Ithaca businessman and entrepreneur originally from Auburn, NY. Located on College Ave just across the stone bridge built by William Henry Sage from the Cornell campus and on the route of the Ithaca Street Railway, Sheldon Court was a private dormitory for men. Sheldon was owner-proprietor of the Triangle Bookshop which occupied part of the first floor. Other shops shared the first floor. The upper floors contained studies and sleeping rooms. The building has a flaring U-shape plan. The facade is a deep red brick with wide rectangular windows. Horizontal stringcourses, raised brick moldings and the wooden bracketed cornice are distinctive. The building was extensively renovated as a Cornell University residence hall in 1982. The chimneys were removed, a fifth floor was added, and a fire stair installed in the rear.