Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
135 Ho Plaza na
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1970
Gross Area:   37,267 sq ft
Net Area:   33,208 sq ft
Architect:   Earl R Flansburgh
Style:   Modern
Unit Facility Director:   lj27 - Lisa M Anderson
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   SCL Zone
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   NL - Not Listed as Landmark
Historic District:   NL - Not Located Within a District
Photo: The Cornell Store
The Campus Store is an underground mall with entrances faced in concrete opposite Wee Stinky Glen and Willard Straight Hall. The grassy area above was meant to preserve the open feel of the landscape between Sage Chapel and Barnes Hall. Its bulk instead has been an obstruction. The interior was remodeled in 1989. The Cornell Campus Store began in 1895 as a student-faculty co-operative called the Cornell Society which provides books and supplies. The co-operative moved to a basement room in Morill Hall and then to Barnes Hall. In 1952 the stock was sold to Cornell and the name was changed. After a long search for a site, the present one was chosen. In choosing this site the committee tried to preserve the inner area of the campus and make the store more accessible. The ground surface of the building is 28 higher than originally planned. The floor slab was raised to reduce rock excavation and cut down on costs. On the basis of the plans, Progressive Architecture in January 1969 selected the Cornell Campus Store for one of the 16 Annual Design Awards from 375 nominated projects.