Javascript Menu by
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
909 University Ave
City of Ithaca
NY -
Construction Date:   1880
Gross Area:   50,567 sq ft
Net Area:   35,708 sq ft
Architect:   Charles Babcock
Style:   Victorian Gothic
Unit Facility Director:   fop2 - Frank O. Parish
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   Endowed
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   NL - Not Listed as Landmark
Historic District:   A - Arts Quad, Local
Photo: Olive Tjaden Hall
The building was originally named Franklin Hall after Benjamin Franklin, America's first electrical engineer. The design of Tjaden Hall incorporates several devices making the building compatible with preceding buildings: contrasting stone belt course, quoined corners, articulated round arch windows, detailed cornice, and a steeply pitched roof line pick up similar details on Stone Row buildings and on Sibley Hall. It was the first asymmetrical University construction, and is of red stone instead of grey and mortar. Various protruding elements and polychromatic exterior finish add to its Victorian Gothic individuality. Embedded in the front facade are stone plaques of various scientists. The tower was removed and an annex was built north of the building.