Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
121 Presidents Dr
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
 
Shipping Address
27 East Ave
Ithaca NY 14853
United

Construction Date:   1874
Gross Area:   23,232 sq ft
Net Area:   17,075 sq ft
Architect:   Willian H Miller; Charles Babcock
Style:   High Victorian Gothic
Unit Facility Director:   hwc1 - Henry W. Crans,  Jr
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   Endowed
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   N - National Register
Historic District:   NL - Not Located Within a District
Photo: A D White House
This High Victorian Gothic mansion, begun by Miller but finished by Babcock, was built for A. D. White and his family. The main block of the west facade consists of two-bay windows on either side of the two-bay central tower. The second floor consists of six bays, the central bay consisting of a pent roofed balcony. The third floor consists of five bays, one bull's eye cross-gabled dormer to the left of the center, a pair of centered double hung sash, and two gable-front dormer windows. The building is constructed of red brick, with Gothic detailing and proportions in the tower, oriel and engaged one-story tower on the east facade, with hipped roofs on the main body of the building and attached eastern wing. The roof line is punctuated by the main western tower, and four slender chimneys on the exterior walls. In 1911 a south wing was added, designed by William H. Miller. In 1921 the house was remodeled to accommodate President Farrand and his family, who occupied the house until 1937. In 1953 the building was once again renovated to accommodate its use as an art museum, and later teaching facility for the Society for the Humanities.