Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
159 Central Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1866
Gross Area:   40,611 sq ft
Net Area:   32,169 sq ft
Architect:   Harlow M Wilcox & Cyrus K Porter
Style:   Second Empire
Unit Facility Director:   hwc1 - Henry W. Crans,  Jr
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   Endowed
Campus Site:   29 - Ithaca Main Campus
Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   N - National Register
Historic District:   A - Arts Quad, Local
Photo: Morrill Hall
Originally named South University Building this Second Empire style structure was the first building to be constructed on the Cornell campus. It appears that the Building Committee originally supported the design of Nichols and Brown, however it is believed that because of the limited time constraint on the construction of the building (it needed to be completed with speed since the university charter required that it be built by October of 1868) the more heavily ornamented design of Nichols and Brown was probably too expensive. It is constructed of Ithaca bluestone and medina sandstone. The three bay, three story structure features a mansard roof with bull's eye arched dormers, tall and narrow arched windows with voussoirs, and limestone quoins on the corners of the building. Along with White Hall and McGraw Hall, Morrill reveals the original plan to have the University face the valley and the western slopes. Morrill Hall's stone walls and simplicity set the precedent for all but a few of the subsequent Quadrangle buildings. In 1966 this building was designated as a national historic landmark.