One prominent feature of Ho Plaza is Willard Straight Hall, the student union. Built in 1925, the building reflects the sensibilities of the times, with separate entrances for men (shown here) and women. While the entire ground floor is accessible from either entrance, separate stairwells ascend to what were once guest rooms for men and women on the upper floors.
Directly across Ho Plaza is the Cornell Store, which was built into the hillside between Sage Chapel and Barnes Hall in 1969. Once housed in Barnes Hall and known as the co-op, the store stocks textbooks, binders, and computers at the beginning of the semester. Year-round, students find software, art supplies, CDs, and Cornell clothes there.