Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
Skip to main content

more options


Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
129 Ho Plz
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1887
Gross Area:   21,618 sq ft
Net Area:   17,336 sq ft
Architect:   William Henry Miller
Style:   Romanesque Revival
Zone Facility Director:   lmb9 - Laura M. Barry
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   SA
Campus Site:   29
Zone Manager:   djh37 - Laura M. Barry
Authority Having Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Photo: Barnes Hall
Virtual Tours: 
Ho Plaza: Summer
Architect William Henry Miller drew up two plans for Barnes Hall, one in Gothic and the other in Romanesque. Though the Gothic version probably was compatible with neighboring Sage College and Sage Chapel, the Romanesque was more up-to-date. The red brick of the other buildings was retained. Barnes features a tower wedged into the corner of an L-plan. The upper floor is a magnificent hammer-beamed room. The lower floors originally were open public and meeting rooms. The quality of the molded brick and stained glass windows is particularly good. John R. Mott ('1888), later world leader of the YMCA and Nobel prize winner, was the driving force behind the Cornell University Christian Association (CUCA). Barnes Hall was intended to eradicate Cornell's reputation as an un-Christian seat of corruption and was the first building in the country built for a college Christian Association. Barnes was the university's first student union. It lost that function with the erection of Willard Straight Hall (1925). The religious function passed on to Anabel Taylor Hall (1952). The CUCA evolved into the ecumenical Cornell United Religious Work in 1929.