Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
Skip to main content

more options


Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
640 Stewart Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1902
Gross Area:   12,426 sq ft
Net Area:   9,777 sq ft
Architect:   William Henry Miller; Robert Gitlin; Cornell Univ
Style:   Tudor
Zone Facility Director:   lmb9 - Laura M. Barry
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   SA
Campus Site:   29
Zone Manager:   djh37 - Laura M. Barry
Authority Having Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Photo: Stewart Ave 640,Kahin Center
One of the three Treman family houses by William Henry Miller in this location, remodeled, with an addition, as a fraternity in 1945, used by the communication arts department from 1970 to 1992, and remodeled in 1992 for the Cornell Southeast Asia Program as the George McT. Kahin Center for Advanced Research on Southeast Asia. When first built in the early years of the twentieth century, the house at 640 Stewart Ave boasted a hand-operated elevator, electric bells, speaking tubes, and central-heating. The house was built by Robert Henry Treman, the son of an enterprising local family and the first member of that family to attend Cornell University and be elected to its board of trustees. The English Tudor half-timbering mirrored the house of Charles Edward Treman which burned in 1944 and was replaced by Von Cramm Hall in 1955. Notable are the porte-cochere, rusticated stonework, and fine half-timbering with light brick infill. The tile roof blends with its neighbor The Treman -Van Cleef House. The interiors have fine woodwork.