Javascript Menu by
more options

Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
336 West Ave
City of Ithaca
NY -
Construction Date:   1928
Gross Area:   4,082 sq ft
Net Area:   2,830 sq ft
Architect:   Charles Zeller Klauder
Style:   Collegiate Gothic
Unit Facility Director:   klc76 - Karen C. Muckstadt
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   SA
Campus Site:   29
Zone Manager:   djh37 - Karen C. Muckstadt
Authority Having Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Historic Building:   NL - Not Listed as Landmark
Historic District:   NL - Not Located Within a District
Photo: War Memorial
Virtual Tours: 
West Campus: Front
West Campus: Passage
The World War 1 Memorial group, with its twin Army and Navy towers and connecting cloister and court, is flanked by Lyon Hall on the north and McFaddin Hall on the south. Rhode Island architect F Ellis Jackson (class of 1900) suggested that Ralph Adams Cram's plan for this portion of the collegiate Gothic men's campus be modified to include a memorial to 264 Cornellians who died in WW1 and a monumental entry to the men's residential area on axis with McGraw Tower. Their names are inscribed on plaques between unglazed tracery windows in the cloister. Over the windows are names of battles in which they fought. An alumni fundraising committee was headed by Robert Elias Treman ('09) and the names of individual and group donors are inscribed in the tower rooms, Lyon Hall, and over entries. The first floor includes an elaborately decorated octagonal memorial room to the war dead including a painting by Alison Mason Kingsbury. The upper three floors were designed as the meeting rooms of the Quill and Dagger secret society.