Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
Skip to main content

more options


Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
114 East Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1872
Gross Area:   150,716 sq ft
Net Area:   124,923 sq ft
Architect:   Charles Babcock
Style:   Ruskinian Gothic
Maintenance Planner:   pfh3 - Paul F. Heliseva
Maintenance Zone:   EN
Campus Site:   29
Zone Manager:   gd222 - Paul F. Heliseva
Authority Having Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Photo: Sage Hall
Virtual Tours: 
Statler Hall: School Entrance
Sage Hall is the earliest of Babcock's University buildings and the first brick building erected south of the Arts Quad. The entrance with a large wood bay window bears a strong resemblance to that of the A. D. White House, built nearby one year before, also by Babcock. The building embellished with bands of molded yellow and black brick, stone trim, colored quoins, arched windows, carved column capitals and two towers. The three story building is capped by a mansard roof of polychromatic slate. The interior was afforded as much grandeur as the exterior, modeled according to the styles of the era. The provision of a court-like space provided each room with windows and natural light. In 1896 an addition was built on the north-east, expanding the housing capacity to accommodate 50 students. The upper portion of the tower was damaged in a storm and then fully removed in the 1950s. Also, the botany greenhouse on the south-east corner of the building has been removed (date unknown). Sage Hall, originally known as Sage College for Women, marked the introduction of women in larger numbers into the University, thus making Cornell one of the first eastern universities to allow women scholars.