Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
Skip to main content

more options


Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
113 Ho Plz
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1941
Gross Area:   129,664 sq ft
Net Area:   108,579 sq ft
Architect:   Shreve, Lamb & Harmon; Wank, Adams & Slavin
Style:   Art Moderne
Zone Facility Director:   wfs2 - William Frank Szabo
Building Coordinators
Maintenance Zone:   EN
Campus Site:   29
Zone Manager:   drl4 - William Frank Szabo
Authority Having Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Photo: Olin Hall
Olin Hall was the first building of the Engineering group relocated from Sibley Hall (not fully realized until the 1950s). Olin Hall occupies the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Campus Road, formerly part of the Sage Hall lawn. The horizontal blocks of Olin Hall's L-plan turn away from Sage Hall and have entrances on the roads. School of Engineering Dean Solomon Cady Hollister and Chemical Engineering Director Fred H. Rhodes opposed collegiate Gothic on the grounds it was irrelevant to a modern scientific discipline. The style is Art Modern. The architects selected a mix of gray-brown Ithaca stone and red brick to define this building's position between the High Victorian Gothic brick buildings of Sage and Barnes Halls and the stone collegiate Gothic structures on Central Ave, Willard Straight and Myron Taylor Halls (Anabel Taylor Hall was not constructed until 1953). Two entrances on the west facade have rectangular, raised limestone panels representing metallurgical engineering. The windows are large with silver metal frames. Strong vertical accents occur in the windows, the undulating wall on the west side, and the brick panels between the windows on the south side. A brick and stone addition was added to the east in 1987.