Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
Skip to main content

more options


Facility Location:  
This represents emergency response location only, may not reflect occupants mailing address.
204 East Ave
City of Ithaca
Tompkins
NY -
Construction Date:   1903
Gross Area:   61,439 sq ft
Net Area:   45,633 sq ft
Architect:   William Henry Miller
Style:   Beaux Arts
Maintenance Planner:   pfh3 - Paul F. Heliseva
Maintenance Zone:   EN
Campus Site:   29
Zone Manager:   gd222 - Paul F. Heliseva
Authority Having Jurisdiction:   City of Ithaca
State Owned?:   No
Photo: Stimson Hall
This building was named after Lewis A. Stimson, M.D. for his efforts toward the establishment of a medical college at Cornell University. Stimson Hall proportionally modeled its now demolished neighbor, Boardman Hall. The strong horizontal stringcourse above the ground floor aligned with the eaves of Boardman. Below this are grey rusticated stone walls punctured with small windows and above are smooth grey stone walls with expansive windows. The charm of the building is its pleasing proportions, simplicity, and gentle presence. Functionally superb, Stimson's second floor is one large space designed to accommodate needs for smaller labs and offices by the provision of non-structural partitions. While accommodating the Second Empire style of Stone Row with a rusticated base and arched entry, the three part building is loosely classified as Beaux Arts Classical. The later applied slate roof covered existing skylights. Initially the building was designed as a two phased construction. The south side of the building had the beginnings of a courtyard which was to be completed by the construction of a second U-shaped building. The second phase was never completed: an addition has been added which uses a majority of the courtyard space.